Cub Club Info:
Someone recently asked us, “What do the Maple Valley Lions do?”
We’d like to share a page out of our book with you, to give you a glimpse of what you’re supporting if you join the club, buy tickets to Oktoberfest or volunteer on one of our projects.
In general, the Lions as a larger organization focus on projects to combat hunger, help youth, save the environment and meet vision needs of those in need.
Here in Maple Valley, we have a big focus on doing service with our kids at our side. We have worked to help:
• Elk Run Farm (which grows vegetables and fruits for 12 South King County food banks);
• the Maple Valley Food Bank & Emergency Services, which helps people in Maple Valley as well as surrounding areas such as Ravensdale, Covington, Hobart, etc.;
• Vine Maple Place (just one project so far but hopefully more to come)
• The environment: With the Cub Club’s reusable bags, we are encouraging residents to use less plastic (proceeds benefited Elk Run Farm). Also, we have the “Maple Valley Doesn’t Suck” initiative, asking businesses to consider taking the challenge to not automatically serve plastic straws, or to go with paper.
• Various “Saturday Service Days,” such as clean-up at the Maple Valley Community Center and farm work at Elk Run Farm
• Hosted the Maple Valley Days breakfast the past two years.
• Provided volunteers/manpower at other organizations’ events, such as school carnivals, city events and Rotary events.
• Helped rejuvenate/bring back the Community Service Coalition, a sort of “meeting of the minds” of local groups to find out how to maximize volunteer efforts and minimize duplication.
• Met with local teens to hear about the issues they see that need addressing, and also to make them feel heard.
We have talked about how to help local residents with vision and hearing needs, but haven’t had the funds or the system in place yet. We have also talked about helping Backpack Buddies, which sends home food with students who might otherwise go hungry on the weekends when school isn’t in session. We are interested in finding out more about how to help a large-scale, future idea about creating a Maple Valley creative arts collective/pavilion.
Lastly, we are open to new ideas of how to help our community. Join us at Oktoberfest (tickets on sale until 9/21/18!) or an upcoming meeting to let us know what you think!